Inspired by Seth Godin, I am pleased to document my 2012 list of what I’ve shipped (and also what I didn’t).
Ran my first Social Media Down Under event in Sydney (72 registrations and it broke even).
- Ran my first Web Strategy Summit in Brisbane (101 registrations and profitable).
- Rolled out Hubspot inbound marketing software and grew my email subscribers by 3,745 contacts in 6 months.
- Did 20 keynote presentations, 2 of which were overseas, and charged my $3k fee for most talks.
- Kicked off our first corporate social media training program.
- Got my first mention in BRW magazine.
- Met aspirational contacts from the business world and social media land: Chris Brogan, Brian Halligan, Dharmesh Shah, Gary Vaynerchuk, Eric Keiles, Mike Lieberman, Liz Strauss, Jason Fried, Brian Solis, Jeremiah Owyang, Ann Handley, Tony Hseih, Dan Zarrella, Laura Fitton, Darren Rowse, Chris Guillebeau and the personal highlight Jim Collins.
- Did two work trips to the US and visited Googleplex in Mountain View, Twitter offices in San Francisco and Zappos office in Las Vegas.
- Travel-wise I got to visit Dajeon (South Korea), Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Hawaii, Chicago and Boston (twice).
- Got invited to Liz Wiseman’s Multipliers Summit in San Francisco.
- Ran Canberra half marathon in a PB of 1:34
- Ran 2 marathons: Gold Coast in 3:49 and Melbourne in 3:47 and ran into the MCG to cross the finish line.
- Completed a 5km ocean swim from Coogee to Bondi in 1:49 (I think)
- Wrote up my bucket list
- Documented personal core values and personal BHAG
- Moved into Bondi pad with my mate Tom
- MC’d my first wedding for my mates Tim & Kate.
Went to Melbourne Cup in the bird cage and actually got to hold to Cup itself!
- Did a trip to Barossa Valley & tasted Hill of Grace wine
- Trip to Hunter Valley and saw Rod Stewart
- Cairns Amateur Races
What didn’t go so well:
- I had set out to write a book, which never shipped. Although I do have the framework and action plan to ship it next year.
- Couldn’t sweet talk our way into Facebook’s HQ in Menlo Park, but I’ll find a way next year 😉
- Missed out on a guest spot on the Breakfast show.
- Didn’t get tickets to Burning Man, didn’t attend the London Olympics or go surfing in the Maldives or skiing in NZ.
A big thanks to our Bluewire family, my real family, Tobes, TF, Mark, Skins, Roomie, Bowesy, my Bondi mates and everyone else who helped make 2012 a brilliant year.
How was your year in review? Leave a comment or email me if you’re shy.